First Lady, Agriculture Secretary Launch MyPlate Icon as a New Reminder to Help Consumers to Make Healthier Food Choices
The new MyPlate icon emphasizes the fruit, vegetable, grains, protein and dairy food groups. http://www.ChooseMyPlate.gov.
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans:
• Enjoy your food, but eat less.
• Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
• Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
• Make at least half your grains whole grains
Foods to Reduce
• Compare sodium (salt) in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals, and choose foods with lower numbers.
• Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
I think it is hilarious that the First Lady & the Agriculture Dept are the ones coming up with the model… because they have so much training in dietetics. (HAHA) The agri dept has NEVER led us astray before, right??
Also, where are the healthy fats & oils?
Overall, I like the better balance the new plate icon offers. However, all of this goes to naught if you are not hungry when you start eating, & if you are not eating mindfully! Also, how big/small is the plate you choose?